Monday, December 13, 2010

In the Bag

This year for Mother's Day, I made a tote bag for Brian's Mom. She is involved in several Bible studies, and has binders and study materials, in addition to her Bible, to take to her lessons. She mentioned about a year ago that she needed another bag to carry all her books in, so I volunteered to make her one. I modified an existing pattern I had for a market bag (it would have been about twice as deep) so that it would be a better fit for her books and binders. We went to Joann's to browse through the fabric and pick out something that she liked. We settled on a pre-quilted fabric, which gives the bag a bit more sturdiness (is that a word?) and also happens to be rather popular right now. The neat thing about this particular fabric was that it had contrasting prints on either side. I was able to use the contrasting fabric for the straps, and the inside of the bag has a more finished appearance.

I think the funniest part of the whole process was when Brian's parents came out for Thanksgiving. I looked at the bag his mom brought in and had enough time to think "that looks familiar, I wonder why" before I realized that I had made it!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I did that with Sarah O's diaper bag. I saw it in church and thought, "Oh, that's cute!" and then remembered oh yeah ... I made that. Lol. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete